Klondike Development Organization is a partnership of City of Dawson, Dawson City Chamber of Commerce, Klondike Visitors Association, Dawson City Arts Society and Chief Isaac Incorporated, the development corporation of the Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in.
Current KDO Activities
KDO recently built, and now owns and operates an 8 unit rental apartment complex.
KDO will be delivering community and economic development projects through North Yukon READI, jointly funded by Yukon Government, Department of Economic Development, Tr’ondëk Hwëch’in and the City of Dawson. Current projects are:
- Placemaking and Tourism – Midnight Dome Enhancement
- Opportunity Development – Investment Co-Operative Model Exploration
- Makerspace Feasibility Exploration
- Investigation of Heritage Building Rehabilitation for Housing
- Investment Attraction Activity (including online information, tools and marketing)
- Meeting, Conferences and Incentive Travel Market – Tender Response and Marketing Support
A resilient Klondike where highly engaged citizens, networks and organizations collaborate to build a sustainable economy.
To focus multi-stakeholder collaboration on diversifying and strengthening the local economic base through:
- pro-active strategies and services aimed at retaining and growing a healthy business base
- increasing access to equity investment capital
- strengthening economic and social sectors critical to the future of the Klondike
- addressing strategic gaps in services
- fostering sustainable, incremental population growth through community revitalization: leveraging Dawson’s assets towards achieving a population level and demographic profile that would support a wider range of goods and services.
Since we formed in late 2009, Dawson City’s population has increased by 285, or 15%.